[GPC] OWASP "Google Hacking" Project - Status - June 2010

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Mon Jun 28 00:35:34 EDT 2010

Paulo,

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Paulo Coimbra <paulo.coimbra at owasp.org> wrote:
> I’ve been following this thread carefully and, to be honest, the fact that
> this project has been launched so long ago and its source code is not
> released still is of concern to me as I doubt the situation is compatible
> with OWASP mission and values.

I don't consider this a fair statement considering the source code was
released and was taken down out of respect for Google.

However, the release is available again today (i.e. Sunday 27 July)
from https://code.google.com/p/dic/ at the request of the GPC.

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Paulo Coimbra <paulo.coimbra at owasp.org> wrote:
>  I’ve been back to your previous email to understand what you are intending
> to do and got a bit confused as you previously said “(...) Hence, I agreed
> that if interested parties couldn't provide a valid SOAP Search API Key
> (which had been discontinued by Google well before I had started to present
> this project) - then the source code was prohibited from being distributed
> to them as it was against Google's TOS. (...)” and now, as far as I
> understand, you say that is only matter of locating some URLs. Could you
> please clarify?

I appear to be quoted out of context but the URLs were intended to
establish the timeline of this OWASP Project to that of the Google
SOAP Search API and hence support the reason for the decision related
to the distribution at that time (i.e. until early September 2009).

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich - http://www.owasp.org/index.php/user:cmlh