[GPC] [RFC] Note for Leaders: Project Health Benefits - Using the"OWASP" Name

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Wed May 20 15:22:12 EDT 2009

1) I agree that self ratings usually don't match up... but I would say
that typically self ratings tend to be *higher* than reality, not
lower. In other words, I think there are probably several projects out
there that are over-stating their usability rather than understating
it.

2) I agree that a good idea partially implemented doesn't necessarily
detract. But I think that's mostly true when it comes to documentation
efforts. A partially documented writeup about the latest XYZ
technology is still valuable even if it's not complete. However, tools
on the other hand are the opposite. I think that a good idea with
partially implemented tool that doesn't do anything *does* detract
from OWASP's credibility. If a user comes to an OWASP tool that has a
great idea, but the implementation is incomplete and mostly
non-functional, they will be left with the impression that OWASP
projects are all some incubation bed of incomplete ideas. The problem
is compounded if the project leader does not have the tool in an
organized state for someone else to take over as no one else can
really pick up the pieces and execute the project's road map.

3) As to the one page challenge, again, I think it's just a matter of
presentation and I don't anticipate having any problems creating a
short overview of the rating system once we get all the specifics
down. But I maintain that it is important to have thought about the
specifics first.

-Jason