[GPC] [RFC] Note for Leaders: Project Health Benefits - Using the"OWASP" Name

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Wed May 20 14:57:46 EDT 2009

I agree that we should always be appreciative of contributions. But I
think you're overestimating the number of current "beta" projects that
are in a useable state :-)

Just as an illustration, I've been slowly wading through self update
results and there's a strong bi-modal distribution in the self ratings
for usability... almost all the projects rate themselves as either 1-2
or 7-9.  Very little distribution in the middle. So there's a cluster
of projects that are definitely usable and a cluster of projects that
are unusable.

The thing is, I think if we got down to it, the projects that rate
their usability  7+ are probably not going to be the projects that are
going to object to falling into line with the proposed changes we're
making. It's those that are in the 1-2 range that I think are going to
be the most noisy - and it's projects like that which detract from the
OWASP name while at the same time contributing very little to the
community.

I do agree though that we want to make things as simple as possible. I
think this is more a presentation issue than a rules issue because at
a high level, the project health concept and structure are fairly
simple. We do need to have thought about specifics and exceptions in
rules, but we don't necessarily need to have them up at the forefront.

-Jason