[GPC] SoC '09, RFP questions

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Thu May 14 12:47:54 EDT 2009

Mike,
I was not able to attend the recent meeting the GPC had in Poland regarding
the SoC protocol, but here was my understanding of it prior to that meeting
and I do not believe the rules of engagement have changed.

With regards to your first question, yes, we are relying more on project
proposals this year. We are hoping for this season of code to be geared more
towards improving existing projects rather than create a new wave of new
projects by having a list of projects as in the previous year. That is not
to say that we will not accept any new ideas - any proposal will be accepted
for review by the SoC Jury. But rather than provide a list of ideas which
encourages a tide of new projects, we're hoping to focus on improving
existing projects while still allowing new and innovative project ideas to
pop up.

Also, as you may have seen in traffic on the list, we are currently in the
process of identifying projects that have been abandoned by their project
leaders and it's our intention to include these projects as an adoption
option for SoC when it is officially launched next week.

In regards to your second question, this discussion was undergoing much
debate but I believe the conclusion was that there is no mandate to reach
any particular quality level. It will be up to the project proposer to
create a clearly defined roadmap with milestones and for the proposer to
identify which quality level they wish to reach. The SoC Jury will examine
the project roadmap and deliverables and take into consideration whether the
quality level identified in the roadmap is appropriate for the amount of
work proposed for the project. As appropriate, the SoC Jury will provide
feedback on proposals if they feel the quality level is too low.

As an extreme example, a project proposal to create a one page cheat-sheet
for CSRF that selects "Alpha" quality will most likely be referred back to
the proposer with a request that the proposal target "Stable" quality as the
amount of work involved in a one page cheat-sheet should allow for reaching
"Stable".

On the other hand, a project proposal to create a comprehensive security
framework like ESAPI for say, PHP, that selects "Alpha" quality may be
viewed more favorably because the expected work involved may be considerably
more.

Regardless of the quality level selected, the SoC Jury will also be judging
the project roadmap to ensure that the deliverables and milestones
are appropriate; payment for SoC will be directly tied to completion of the
project's proposed milestones in the roadmap and therefore it is expected
that the roadmap will include significant detail about the work involved.

Hope that helps! LMK if you have further questions.
--
-Jason Li-
-jason.li at owasp.org-