[GPC] OWASP Tools Project

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Wed Aug 26 09:52:29 EDT 2009

Hello Vishal,

Thanks much for getting back to me and sending me off the requested data.
Although I am still dealing with a little issue to make the Project Roadmap
link work, the information sent has been uploaded.

As said before, later on, as soon as you are ready to do so and before the
assessment of your first release, please send me off the information below
mentioned in 5. and 6..

I wish you good work.

Should you have any queries or require any further information please do not
hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks, best regards,

Paulo Coimbra,

 <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP Project Manager

To: paulo.coimbra at owasp.org

Hi paulo,

Can you please tell me who is the right person to contact for project
related queries. I am not sure if I should contact you for this or someone
else there.

[pc] For project related queries, you can always contact me or/and the
Global Projects Committee (being carbon copied).

The one issue I am having at the moment is regarding setting a mailing list
for OWASP Tools Project. One can find one mailing list aleardy set up by
someone else, but I am not sure if I can have ownership to that mailing
list. If that's not possible, then how can I create another mailing list for
this project.

[pc] I have created a new mailing list and by now its password must have
been automatically sent to you. Please let me know if you need any further
assistance regarding this issue.

Also I know that you have started the project identification page which is
under work at the moment.

[pc] I've already made a couple of edits more. Have you seen?

I had sent you some information you had asked me before. [pc]Thanks! It's
uploaded. Could you please let me know if you need more information about
setting this page.

1.	Project Roadmap,
2.	Project main links (if any),
3.	Project License
(http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects#Project_Licens
ing),
4.	Project leader

a)   Project Leader wiki account,

Later on, as soon as you are ready to do so and before the assessment of
your first release, please send me off:

5.   Conference style presentation that describes the project in at least 3
slides
(http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/what-is-the-3x-slid
e-presentation-thing/)

6.	Project Flyer/Pamphlet (PDF file)
(http://globalprojectscommittee.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/what-is-this-projec
t-flyerpamphlet-thing/)

Please note that as your project matures, we would like to help promote it
and apply some consistency across other OWASP projects. Please let us know
when you are nearing your first release so we can work with you on some
additional project requirements. If you like a preview of these
requirements, please see here
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Assessing_Project_Health and here
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Assessing_Project_Releases . Also, see here
an example
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Live_CD_Project#tab=Project_Id
entification.

Also could you please let me know if I'll be able to make any changes on
this page or not.

[pc] To be honest this question is already being discussed within the Global
Projects Committee. However, at least until a new rule is established, I
believe you can edit the project identification tab -the only constraint
that I see regards the template - please keep its integrity.

Regards
Vishal

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Vishal Garg <vishalgrg at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Paulo,

I have provided some of the project identification details below. I am not
sure about some of the information that you have asked. Would you be kind
enough to explain that to me and what information do I need to provide
there.

Regards
Vishal

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Paulo Coimbra <paulo.coimbra at owasp.org>
wrote:

Hello Vishal,

First of all I thank your interest in leading an OWASP Project -
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Tools_Project.

Secondly, regarding your current proposal, I ask whether you would be kind
enough to write down and send us off a couple of lines (a project roadmap)
expressing your ideas in terms of project development. The goal is to allow
some feedback from the OWASP Global Projects Committee (GPC).

Afterwards, and if the GPC agrees with handing over the project leadership
to you, to set up the project's information tab, I ask you to send me off
the following data:

A - PROJECT

1.	Project Purpose: The OWASP Tools Project's goal is to provide
unbiased, practical information and guidance about application security
tools that are used for detecting vulnerabilities or defending against
vulnerabilities and to rate these tools according to a predefind criteria to
access their effectiveness.
2.	Project License: Don't know.
3.	Project Leader: Vishal Garg
4.	Project Maintainer: Visha Garg
5.	Project Contributor(s): None at the moment
6.	Conference style presentation that describes the tool in at least 3
slides, None
7.	Project Flyer/Pamphlet (PDF file), None
8.	Project Roadmap, Need to create a page for this yet
9.	Project main links,

B - FIRST RELEASE

I am not sure about the information below. Could you please explain what
needs to go there.

10.	Release Name,
11.	Release main features,
12.	Release downloadable file link
13.	Release Leader,
14.	Release Contributor(s),
15.	Release Reviewer,
16.	Release Mentor (if any),
17.	Release Sponsor(s) (if any),
18.	Release Flyer/Pamphlet,
19.	Release Roadmap,
20.	Release Main Links,

Note: For Project Leader and Contributors please create
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Special:Userlogin>  a wiki accounts and
please send me off the links. See here
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Tutorial>  and here
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Mtesauro>  how to do it and here
<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Live_CD_Project#tab=Project_I
dentification>  an example of how it will be used.

Meanwhile, please allow me a couple of directions.

Firstly, I recommend you glance at OWASP's Assessment Criteria -
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project_Assessment. As you
may know, this set of rules will be used both to push the project up the
ladder and to eventually assess it. In addition, I also recommend you
briefly check out this link
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects as a mean to
understand our process of setting up new projects.

As for now it's all - I wish you good work and thank you for supporting
OWASP mission.