[Esapi-user] Encoding JsonP callback parameter

Ittai Zeidman ittaiz at wix.com
Tue Sep 16 04:43:28 UTC 2014

I actually think I was too quick to respond since I’m not sure the JSON Sanitizer is the right project.

from Wikipedia: "The response to a JSONP request is not JSON and is not parsed as JSON; the returned payload can be any arbitrary JavaScript expression”.

Given the above definition I can decide to narrow down the values of the callback parameter I accept from the client to a valid JS function name.

This means I need to be able to receive an arbitrary string from the client and verify that it contains only a valid JS function name.

One option is to manually write it like so: http://tav.espians.com/sanitising-jsonp-callback-identifiers-for-security.html

I was hoping you would have a Encode.forJavaScriptFunctionName which encapsulates the above checks.

Would appreciate your feedback.
Ittai Zeidman

Cell: 054-6735021
40 Hanamal street, Tel Aviv, Israel