[Esapi-user] ESAPI Installation

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 02:55:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Dave Wichers <dave.wichers at owasp.org> wrote:
> Don,
> Thanks for your inquiry. This is Dave Wichers.
>
> Chris Schmidt and Kevin Wall know much more about ESAPI than I do.   Guys -
> are there any pointers you can provide to Don? Otherwise, maybe he can
> explain in more detail what trouble he is having so you can help.
>
> Thanks, Dave

Hi Don. There are no videos that I know of. There is a somewhat detailed
some installation instructions for ESAPI and using it with Eclispe on
the OWASPI wiki at:
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ESAPI-BuildingWithEclipse>
It's a bit old, but not too outdated. There is other documentation
as well on the Google Code site where the ESAPI code is hosted,
but since you haven't been more specific as to what problem you
are experiencing or where you else you have looked, I'll refrain from
recommending those initially because they are more spotty than
what I just referenced on the OWASP wiki.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not.  If not, you
will have to be more specific about what you are trying to do (e.g.,
using ESAPI with one of your projects versus simply working on ESAPI),
what specific problems / error messages you are seeing, and some details
about what plug-ins you are using in Eclipse. The more precise your
questions are formulated, the more likely that someone will jump into
help because they likely won't have to do as much research to come to an
answer.  If your problem is a runtime error about not being able to load
ESAPI.properties, there are lots of places where that has been answered
both on StackOverflow forums as well as the ESAPI-Users list. If that is your
problem and you can't find it via your favorite Internet search engine, then
shoot the ESAPI-Users list another email with more details.

Based on the above URL, I think it is obvious that ESAPI was designed
with Maven in mind, so if you are still using 'ant' (or really anything
other than Maven), then "some assembly is required" shall we say.
If you understand Eclipse and classpaths though, even that is nothing that
is unsolvable.

Note that when it says JDK 1.5, anything later than that should work
fine as well. If you have trouble, you can always set the compilation
options to use 1.5 via "Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Compiler, then
set 'Compiler compliance level'".

Hope that helps some,
-kevin
P.S.- In the future, you would likely get much quicker answers if you sign
      up for the aforementioned ESAPI-Users list and then post questions there.
      You can sign up for that list here:
      I am CC'ing that list if you wish to follow up there. Best regards!
--
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.