[Esapi-user] Fwd: [GPC-Mailbox] ESAPI installation

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com
Mon Mar 3 18:43:14 UTC 2014

Here's the response I sent off list...

Hi Don,

I'm not sure there's a great tutorial anywhere. There are directions on the wiki, but they're not great.   I'm sorry about that.  I really can't help much unless you share what you tried, what error messages you are getting, etc...

Ordinarily I wouldn't try to help without a better request, but my suspicion is that you are having trouble with the esapi resources directory.  You should download the resources zip file from here...
https://code.google.com/p/owasp-esapi-java/downloads/list

In Eclipse, create an "esapi" directory directly IN your src directory.  Eclipse will "compile" this by putting a copy into your classes folder.  ESAPI searches for several locations for this resource directory, and the classpath is probably the easiest.

The last step is to set up your masterkey...

Search for his section in the ESAPI.properties file.  Follow the directions and generate a new master key and master salt.

# ***** IMPORTANT: Do NOT forget to replace these with your own values! *****
# To calculate these values, you can run:
#                             java -classpath esapi.jar org.owasp.esapi.reference.crypto.JavaEncryptor
#
Encryptor.MasterKey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Encryptor.MasterSalt=yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Good luck,

--Jeff

From: Don P. <hey4769 at yahoo.com<mailto:hey4769 at yahoo.com>>
Date: Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Subject: [GPC-Mailbox] ESAPI installation
To: "projects at owasp.org<mailto:projects at owasp.org>" <projects at owasp.org<mailto:projects at owasp.org>>

Hello Jeff,
    I was trying to install ESAPI in my computer to work with java for few days now and it is very difficult to get it working. Can you please tell me if there is a video or anything that shows how to follow the step by step installation process, so that it will work with java eclipse? I would greatly appreciate your time and the help.
Sincerely,
Don.

--

Samantha Groves, MBA