[Esapi-user] Canonicalization and ESAPI's Input Validation Layer

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Aug 30 16:39:31 UTC 2014

So what is the line drawn between an attack and acceptably encoded data in
ESAPI?

Canonicalization also "breaks" some input types (html, json, etc) so
canonicalization of •all• input is equally idiotic. (which is why all of
ESAPI's IV functions can disable canonicalization)

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Aug 30, 2014, at 5:07 AM, Jeff Williams <jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com>
wrote:

 There are many situations in which apps get encoded data that does not
represent an attack. However, any kind of multiply encoded data is clearly
an attack.  So the line we drew in ESAPI is, I think, the right one. We
only throw an intrusion detection whenever there is absolutely a clear
attack.  Otherwise we clean up and try to make the data work.

 Turning off canonicalization, for the vast majority of inputs would be
idiotic.  You simply can't reliably validate encoded data. If you follow
this plan, the only CVE you will need to worry about is "Canonicalize,
Validate, Escape"

--Jeff

On Aug 30, 2014, at 3:22 AM, "Fabio Cerullo" <fcerullo at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi

 What about someone who "needs" encoded data to be accepted by the webapp?

 For example, a web form with a field that is used for completion
percentage of something. So in that field you could input "80% complete".

 That would be a legit case of canonicalise first, and then validate
because that value needs to be stored as it is.

 I believe the approach taken by ESAPI is: treat everything as potentially
malicious, canonicalise just in case, and then validate  all entries.

 Otherwise, how would you differentiate between an attack and a valid
entry in example above?

 Fabio

Esapi-user at lists.owasp.org