[Esapi-user] ESAPI Random Number Generation Broken

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Apr 7 04:10:34 UTC 2014

Supposedly, the only reason you need to reseed is because an attacker
who can see *many* random values from the same SecureRandom instance has
an increasingly better chance to determine the seed. Once the attacker
can determine the seed, the attacker can determine the PRNG sequence.

However, this does not explain why Rook reported that 20,000 calls to
the same instance ESAPI's Randomizer popped up as deterministic in the
Burp analysis tool.

However, *periodic* reseeding like you suggest seems more than
appropriate, regardless of what our code archeology discovers. :)

More soon.

- Jim