[Esapi-user] ESAPI Random Number Generation Broken

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Apr 7 03:03:34 UTC 2014

Jeff,

I had a phone call with Kevin this evening and we are not sure if the
problem is the single instance of SecureRandom, or perhaps some problem
from the encoding, or maybe an OS level issue (since SecureRandom has
different behavior [even with the same algorithm and seed] on different
JVM's/OS's), or some other error that we have not figured out yet.  Also
check out the related bug
https://code.google.com/p/owasp-esapi-java/issues/detail?id=217 which
seems rather glaring (same value returned every time) we will
investigate this as well.

The test case is simple - use ESAPI to generate a sequence of random
values and run it through a well vetted random number analyzer, but
we'll provide specific code for this soon.

David Rook provided the initial analysis and used Burp's random number
analyzer. The bug is entered here
https://code.google.com/p/owasp-esapi-java/issues/detail?id=323 and we
will track our progress there. Kevin and I intend of find and fix the
problem ASAP.

More soon,
Jim