[Esapi-user] INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR in style tag

Blanca Hernandez blanca.hernandez at willhaben.at
Tue Jun 25 12:53:12 UTC 2013

Hello,

Thanks for your fast answer and the information. I am trying to avoid potential security attacks (like XSS) in the HTML code, but if the HTML code is valid or not is not a big deal. Is there some kind of configuration possibility to skip the validation of the HTML content and only check the potential security attacks?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Blanca

________________________________

From: Blanca Hernandez <blanca.hernandez at willhaben.at>
Date: Monday, June 24, 2013 9:40 AM
To: ESAPI Users <esapi-user at lists.owasp.org>
Subject: [Esapi-user] INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR in style tag

Hello,

Analyzing this piece of code:

Owasp return: Invalid HTML input org.owasp.validator.html.ScanException: org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.

The only mistake ist that it shoud be: <div style=3D"padding:20px;">

There are many cases like this one and it makes invalid a whole HTML. In my point of view, this is not a security issue, and it shouldn´t be reported, am I right?

The last commited OWASP version is from 2011, is there a later one? In that case, how could I update my dependencies? (I haven´t found something actual). Is the development of this library going ahead at all?

Any advice or idea would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!