[Esapi-user] Using esapi4js without log4js

Chris Schmidt chris.schmidt at owasp.org
Thu Jan 5 04:48:22 UTC 2012

Eashwaran -

FWIW, ESAPI4JS should be evaluated heavily before use in a production
app - when I released it, it was as a proof of concept implementation
and was never meant to be used in production code. That being said,
depending on what you are planning to with the library I can recommend
the jq-encoder [1] jQuery plugin to address client-side encoding
concerns (DOM-Based XSS). Also, as a further disclaimer, it should be
noted that in 99% of cases, javascript does not provide ample support
against attack and should not be relied on as a single line of defense
against XSS attacks (or any other attacks for that matter) - up until
*very* recently, it was possible for an attacker to bypass javascript
protection completely by exploiting xss that existed prior to the use
(and consequental loading) of the library, or by abusing the mutable
nature of javascript objects and functions and removing the library from
use as part of their attack.

All that said, if you are dead-set on using ESAPI4JS, then awesome! I
look forward to hearing how it works for you! The Log4JS library is
indeed a dependency in the default installation of ESAPI4JS, however -
you can remove this dependency by defining a different implementation of
the Logger in your configuration object. This can simply be a no-op
logger of any a wrapper around any other logger you may want to use. If
you wish to continue using Log4JS as the Logger implementation, you can
configure Log4JS to use a different appender [2]

[1] http://software.digital-ritual.net/jqencoder/
[2] http://log4js.berlios.de/docu/users-guide.html#configuration

Hope this helps you out, and let me know if you have additional questions!

Cheers,
Chris