[Esapi-user] Using account name as salt

Chris Schmidt chrisisbeef at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:00:01 EDT 2011

I agree that this needs to be highlighted better. That being said:

1.       Using File-Based Authentication in and of itself is problematic for
web applications. If your application server runs as the user Tomcat, then
the tomcat user needs to have r/w access to your passwd files; if you have a
shellable vulnerability or a path traversal in your web-app then you're
pwnd.

2.       Storing credentials in your database where you store the rest of
your data is also problematic. A SQLi in a completely unrelated part of your
application can cause havoc (just ask the guys from Sony)

Ideally, authentication should be a completely separate process, with
credentials stored and accessed someplace completely isolated from the rest
of the application such as an LDAP Provider.

I plan on releasing a Spring Security/ESAPI Authenticator Adapter
*component* shortly after 2.0GA goes live. It wouldn't be out of the
question to pull the "Spring'ed" portion of code out and replace the RI with
something that is actually useful.