[Esapi-user] Esapi-user Digest, Vol 20, Issue 12

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com
Fri Jul 29 00:12:47 EDT 2011

The language in Encoder.encodeForSQL javadoc seems pretty clear to me.
But I suppose that someone could go straight to the codec package and
use them directly.  That suggests that each Codec should probably point
back to the Encoder as the right interface to use.  I also think some
package-level documentation for the codecs package makes sense.  Then
each of the database codecs (DB2, MySQL, Oracle) should have a
restatement of the warning below.

The JavaDoc is a nice start, but I think the most effective place for
this type of guidance is in an "ESAPI Book" that describes the purpose
and general use of each of the packages.

--Jeff

encodeForSQL

java.lang.String encodeForSQL(Codec
<http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/svn/trunk_doc/latest/org/owasp/e
sapi/codecs/Codec.html>  codec,

                              java.lang.String input)

Encode input for use in a SQL query, according to the selected codec
(appropriate codecs include the MySQLCodec and OracleCodec). This method
is not recommended. The use of the PreparedStatement interface is the
preferred approach. However, if for some reason this is impossible, then
this method is provided as a weaker alternative. The best approach is to
make sure any single-quotes are double-quoted. Another possible approach
is to use the {escape} syntax described in the JDBC specification in
section 1.5.6. However, this syntax does not work with all drivers, and
requires modification of all queries.

Parameters:

codec - a Codec that declares which database 'input' is being encoded
for (ie. MySQL, Oracle, etc.)

input - the text to encode for SQL

Returns:

input encoded for use in SQL