[Esapi-user] [Esapi-dev] Response Splitting

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Tue Jan 25 21:57:09 EST 2011

My testing on millions of requests under load doesn’t show any performance issues with a wrapper that overloads the setHeader() and addHeader() response methods.  I believe that the right place to defend against header injection is right at the point when data is put into headers, and that the wrapper is an elegant solution that requires no other code changes.

I can’t figure out what your point is with regard to validation.  I never suggested that validation should be either “generic” or “context-sensitive” as you call them.  That choice depends on the application.  I also never suggested double-validation.  However, my testing suggests that your “performance killer” claim for double-validation unfounded.

Ahh wait – you’re talking about specifically using ESAPIFilter/SafeRequest/SafeResponse, aren’t you?  I’m suggesting the use of targeted wrappers to prevent header injection.  I do believe that the ESAPIFilter has caused issues since it does everything.  But I see no problem with the idea of ResponseWrappers in general.

--Jeff