[Esapi-user] disabling logging

augustd at codemagi.com augustd at codemagi.com
Tue Sep 28 12:20:17 EDT 2010

If your intention was to disable the intrusion detector and it still throws IntrusionExceptions then I would say it is not good.

-August

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

To: Esapi-user at lists.owasp.org
Cc: Jim Manico

I have a report from one of my users of IntrusionDetector.Disable not
working also:

I have an exception coming from the Intrusion Detection in ESAPI, I tried
disabling it with:

  IntrusionDetector.Disable=true

But that doesn't seems to be working.  The problem is with a cookie value
that we have.  It seems to be double encoded and the Intrusion Detection
throws an exception so the loading of the page fails.

Here's the exception

2010-09-27 18:00:50,811 INFO  [STDOUT] 2010-09-27 18:00:50,810 ERROR
[some.server.com%2F12.34.56.78-8009-1] Log4JLogFactory$Log4JLogger -
[SECURITY FAILURE Anonymous:null at unknown ->
some.server.com:443/ExampleApplication/IntrusionException] INTRUSION -
Multiple (2x) encoding detected in XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2010-09-27 18:00:50,812 INFO  [STDOUT] 2010-09-27 18:00:50,811 ERROR
[some.server.com.com%2F12.34.56.78-8009-1] Log4JLogFactory$Log4JLogger -
[SECURITY FAILURE Anonymous:null at unknown ->
some.server.com:443/ExampleApplication/com.server.some.SecurityWrapper]
Error in SecurityWrapper: Input validation failure

org.owasp.esapi.errors.IntrusionException: Input validation failure

        at
org.owasp.esapi.reference.DefaultEncoder.canonicalize(DefaultEncoder.java:16
9)

        at
org.owasp.esapi.reference.DefaultEncoder.canonicalize(DefaultEncoder.java:12
0)

        at
org.owasp.esapi.reference.validation.StringValidationRule.getValid(StringVal
idationRule.java:290)

        at
org.owasp.esapi.reference.DefaultValidator.getValidInput(DefaultValidator.ja
va:173)

I dug into the code and it looks like StringValidationRule.getValid( String
context, String input ) calls the one-argument
DefaultEncoder.canonicalize(String input) which automatically enforces
strict intrusion detection regardless of the value in ESAPI.properties.

-August

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Saad Shakil <sshakil at rim.com> wrote:

But intrusion detection sounds like something I should be keeping :)

Other than validation against the regex, what else does IntrusionDetector
do?

To: Esapi-user at lists.owasp.org
Subject: [Esapi-user] disabling logging

I tried setting <priority value ="off" /> in log4j.xml, but still noticed an
IntrusionDetector SECURITY FAILURE on a validation exception that I catch in
my code.

Secondly, separate validation and intrusion exceptions become redundant if a
third intrustiondetector is already thrown.  IntrusionDetector.class reads:

"This method should immediately log the exception so that developers
throwing an IntrusionException do not have to remember to log every error."

 I understand that the way we can catch an attack is through validation
failure, but what distinguishing a harmless error from an actual attack?
Right now, I have it so that I violate the default 'AccountName' rule by
trying to update the value to one that is of length 2 characters, when the
min is three .{3,100}$.  I haven't dug deep inside ESAPI code, but this
shouldn't be treated as an exception in my case, rather just an invalid
input.  And I'd like to change the logging to reflect that, and the event's
handling too if possible.  Any idea on how I can go about doing this?

Thanks.

-S

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.