[Esapi-user] [Owasp-leaders] [Esapi-dev] Crypto attack and OWASP

Chris Schmidt chrisisbeef at gmail.com
Mon May 3 12:53:46 EDT 2010

That was the main point that I was trying to get across as well Michael.
While notification lists are important, having the process documented is
*very* important.

Examples we can go off of:
http://germany.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=2928
http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_vulnerability_policy.html

Summary of what I think we need:

1. Any issues tagged with Security in Issue Tracker should be hidden to
non-commiters (if possible)
2. A certificate available for download to allow researchers to encrypt
vulnerability details that they e-mail to us
3. A notification list for security-alerts
4. Define an expected response time to resolve vulnerabilities
5. Do we go with CVE labels for vulnerabilities or use our own labeling
system

I think that these 5 things should probably be owasp wide, and projects
should be required to have a link on their *main pages* pointing people to
the OWASP Policy for reporting Security Vulnerabilities.

The policy itself should be pretty standard,

1. Send as much info as possible, including PoC code if available.
2. Ask nicely to not disclose publicly until we have had a chance to respond
and/or resolve
3, Encouraged use of OWASP cert to encrypt details of vuln in e-mail

We should have a central e-mail distribution that goes to project leads for
all owasp projects (something along the lines of vulnerable at owasp.org)

We should only encourage people to submit security vulnerabilities using
Issue Trackers if we have the ability to *hide* those issues from anonymous
and/or non project commiters.

Thoughts?

--
Chris Schmidt