[Esapi-user] [Esapi-dev] Why ESAPI crypto uses a custom serialization scheme

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat May 1 02:23:38 EDT 2010

Encrypting on the client is a fundamental - hard core fundamental -
need as we approach the web 3.0 world of client side apps interacting
directly with webservices.

Sure, those of you still playing with HTML forms or web 2.0 AJAX might
scoff at most client side security controls.

But those of us who live in the world of an entire massive web app
only downloading one small HTML page and all other communication to
the server is via REST/SOAP services - directly from a browser -
understand the need to do a variety of client side encryption of
various aspects of the XML/JSON/etc request payload - in order to
support server-side webservice best practices.

And I would have called the info above insanity just a few months ago
(and called out Zalewski from Google on just this topic) until I was
faced with the same issue myself.

PS: Kevin, I do believe you "rock the house" and do not let this
minimize knowing that I have platonic crypto-love for you.

Cheers,
Jim Manico

On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:48 PM, "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com