[Esapi-user] Database-based Authentication

Brent Shikoski brent.shikoski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 22:47:43 EDT 2010

Owen,

I would encourage you to extend
org.owasp.esapi.reference.AbstractAuthenticator and
org.owasp.esapi.reference.DefaultUser, I've done it in my code with great
success.  I didn't see the need to duplicate functionality that was already
there and probably do a worse job at it.

As far as this code goes:

*HTTPSession session = ESAPI.currentRequest().**getSession(false);*
*DataUser account = DBAuthenticator.INSTANCE.**getUser((String)session.**
getAttribute("username"));*
*account.doSomething();
*
To get the first line to work, something does need to set the current
request, take a look at org.owasp.esapi.filters.ESAPIFilter.
The code on the second line in most cases should be more like:
*
**User user = ESAPI.authenticator().login();*
*or
User user = ESAPI.authenticator().getCurrentUser();*

Of course it depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but you
should reference the interfaces wherever you can instead of the
implementations.

I hope you find this useful,
Brent