[Esapi-user] Exploring ESAPI identity management

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:02:25 EST 2010

Jeff Williams wrote:

> I got a bit confused by the writeup, but I think you're working out how
> to use ESAPI to achieve SSO, right?

That was my take on it.

> That's a bit different than identity management, at least to me.

They are related in that almost every IAM system offers SSO, but yes,
they are different...at least from where I sit.

> Anyway, it'requireds a very useful
> discussion since so many sites are really conglomerations of
> applications these days.  Rather than create yet another cookie-based
> SSO approach, I'd really like to see us head towards a SAML, OpenID, or
> other Identity 2.0 type solution.

I've been involved with RSA ClearTrust (now called "Access Manager") for
almost 7 years and before that, worked on a proprietary WAM product. Each
are used for authN/SSO than for any other reason. (Only perhaps 10-15% of the
use is for authZ and even then, it's very course-grained.)

I also have spent the past 2 years looking extensively at federation and SSO,
especially those solutions based on SAML. I've only briefly looked at OpenID,
and that was when a security issue came up with something in the OpenID
spec/protocol last fall or so.

What I will tell you right off the bat is that all SAML implementations
seem to be inherently complicated (at least for SAML 2.0) and I wholly
anticipate troubleshooting issues when SAML doesn't work to be a major
pain in the @rse.

However, as we were evaluating SAML vendors, I did run across one lightweight
federation SSO specification that I was fairly impressed with. It is an
(expired) draft RFC.  The spec is called Open Token and it was created by
some folks at Ping Identity.
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-smith-opentoken-02)

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think that the Ping Identity folks have a Java
implementation of Open Token available as a free download on their web
site and that it is offered under LGPL2. (Of course, someone should verify
that.) I do think you are supposed to register w/ them before downloading
though.

But Open Token is what you might think of as SAML-lite. It is not XML based
and usually is sent via cookie, but it can also be sent as hidden form
variable or query parameter. The spec also has a provision for preventing
replay attacks.

However, my point is, even if it is not something that already has a FOSS
toolkit available, the spec is really pretty simple to implement.

Besides there are already plenty of SAML implementations (OpenSAML, Shibboleth,
CAS, etc.) that I'm not certain the world needs any others.

Anyhow, I'd encourage you to take a look at Open Token as a possible
authN approach for federated SSO to be used by ESAPI.

-kevin
--
Kevin W. Wall
We cause accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME