[Esapi-user] Stephen on ESAPI

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com
Mon Jan 11 00:04:49 EST 2010

Maybe we haven't always been as clear as we could be about this...

It's always best if developers can work within their framework. The
ESAPI project is trying to build some foundational security controls so
that developers don't have to keep remaking the same mistakes over and
over.  If your framework already provides a control already, great.  If
your framework wants to use ESAPI and hide it from the developer, great.
In some cases, the framework might want to expose ESAPI, and that's fine
too.

Sometimes, you may want to integrate ESAPI into your framework's
existing security control. Generally this isn't too hard. If you want to
use Struts Validators, for example, you can write a custom validator
that delegates to an ESAPI validator. This allows most developers to use
the Struts pattern as normal, but you get the advantage of
canonicalization and intrusion detection under the hood.

--Jeff

List information, subscriptions, etc -
http://krvw.com/mailman/listinfo/sc-l
List charter available at - http://www.securecoding.org/list/charter.php
SC-L is hosted and moderated by KRvW Associates, LLC
(http://www.KRvW.com)

--
Jim Manico
OWASP Podcast Host/Producer