[Owasp Source Flaws Top 10] int main(void) {printf("Hello World!\n"); return 0; }

Eduardo V. C. Neves eduardo.neves at owasp.org
Mon Dec 15 10:52:19 EST 2008

Paolo,

There are my first comments:

C1 - Design Weakness	A design weakness occurs when your business logic
isn't strong enough to a threat modeling activity so it may be easy
for an attacker to subvert your application behavior. Design is also
about objects scope and visibility so extra care must be taken to what
your program expose to others.

Makes more sense to me if the text can be changed to "A design
weakness occurs when the logic used to create the application did not
addressed a threat modeling activity". To use only business logic may
be not right interpreted for non-technical readers.

C2 - Architectural Weakness	Your application at runtime is not a
standalone part of the entire world, it depends over auxiliary system.
An architectural weakness occurs when your code interact in a non safe
way to auxiliary systems.

I prefer to use "auxiliary component" or even "support component"
facing the fact that system can be interpreted only as an application,
and we can use hardware, interfaces and other stuff here.

C4 - Insecure communications	Web applications use TCP/IP stack to
communicate to the world, no magic in this. An insecure communication
vulnerability seen from the source code point of you is about how
operating system provided abstraction layer (sockets, ...),
communication layer provided by framework (java sockets, ...) are
used. This is more than just checking about SSL usage, this is about
how the communication code is written.

In think that the description should be more precise. No ideas for
now, but for a near future.

C7 - Misuse of local resources	Often people pretends that operating
system provided resources are an infinite container of memory, disk
space and cpu time. Well, it isn't. You must also consider that poorly
designed local resource utilization, can lead an application to have
poor response time and than it can lead to a denial of service if an
attacker will try to consume all the resources.

Pretends or intends? Sounds a little bit strange for me.

Just my initial comments, shall we discuss?

Best,

Eduardo