[Owasp-salt_lake] REMINDER: OWASP Thursday, June 13 meeting in conjunction with UtahSec tomorrow

Dmitry Dessiatnikov dmitry.dessiatnikov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 21:29:41 UTC 2013

This month's meeting is scheduled for the second Thursday of the month June
13th to accommodate our speaker's schedule who is coming to us all the way
from Hawaii. Jim Manico of WhiteHat Security will be presenting on Top Ten
Web Defenses. See you all there! Details below:

*Date:*

*Thursday, June 13 2013*

*Time:*

*6 - 8 pm*

*Meeting location:*

*LDS Riverton Office Building*

*3740 W 13400 S*

*Riverton, UT 84065*

*Presentation:*

*Top Ten Web Defenses*

*Presenter: Jim Manico - VP of Security Architecture for WhiteHat Security,
a web security firm.*

*Food Sponsor: TBD*

*Everyone is welcome to join us at our chapter meetings*

*Title: Top Ten Web Defenses*
We cannot “firewall” or “patch” our way to secure websites. In the past,
security professionals thought firewalls, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL),
patching, and privacy policies were enough. Today, however, these
methods are outdated and ineffective, as attacks on prominent,
well-protected websites are occurring every day. Citigroup, PBS, Sega,
Nintendo, Gawker, AT&T, the CIA, the US Senate, NASA, Nasdaq, the NYSE,
Zynga, and thousands of others have something in common – all have had
websites compromised in the last year. No company or industry is immune.
Programmers need to learn to build websites differently. This talk will
review the top coding techniques developers need to master in order to
build a low-risk, high-security web application.

*BIO:* Jim Manico is the VP of Security Architecture for WhiteHat
Security, a web security firm. He authors and delivers developer
security awareness training for WhiteHat Security and has a background
as a software developer and architect. Jim is also a global board member
for the OWASP foundation. He manages and participates in several OWASP
projects, including the OWASP cheat sheet series and the OWASP podcast
series.

--
Thanks,

Dmitry Dessiatnikov