[Owasp-modsecurity-core-rule-set] Percent signs in urls

Thayyilekandy, Subin : Barclaycard US sthayyilekan at BarclaycardUS.com
Thu Jul 17 18:50:55 UTC 2014

Try this in your custom before file (should execute before the CRS rules are executed)

SecRule ARGS: keyword "@streq 100%" "id:999013,phase:2,t:none,t:lowercase,nolog,pass,ctl:ruleRemoveTargetById=950907; ARGS: keyword "

Note : please replace the rule id with the actual rule id that  is being triggered in this scenario , the above rule id is just an example

Thanks

Subin
Application Security consultant | GISTR
Dryrock, DE | Cube# 4-060
Work: (302) 255-7709 | Cell: (214) 799 - 2769

-----Original Message-----
From: owasp-modsecurity-core-rule-set-bounces at lists.owasp.org [mailto:owasp-modsecurity-core-rule-set-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Delia Lunsford
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:26 PM
To: owasp-modsecurity-core-rule-set at lists.owasp.org
Subject: [Owasp-modsecurity-core-rule-set] Percent signs in urls

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I am having real difficulty finding an answer to a small problem for me - large problem for a hosting customer.

I primarily host ZenCart websites which has a site search. One customer sells coffee - and he wants his customers to be able to search for "100% kona". That triggers mod security as the search parameters are passed to the url.

The url becomes:
domain.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=100%
kona

Obviously nothing I've tried can change the trigger - mod security just doesn't like that percent sign mixed into that keyword set.

Is it possible to have exceptions to this rule at all? What do you recommend I do?

Delia Wilson Lunsford
WizTech, Inc., (formerly Delia Wilson Design, LLC.)
434-202-4307
Terms and Conditions for working with WizTech, Inc.
(http://www.teamwiztech.com/terms-conditions.php)