[Owasp-losangeles] OWASP LA

Cassio Goldschmidt cassio at owasp.org
Thu Dec 4 12:36:50 EST 2008

Hi everyone:

Our last OWASP meeting for this year is December 10th 7:30PM (note will be
stating a bit later). As always, meeting and parking are free - *all I need
is an email from you ahead of time to make the badges and notify security*.
The description for the main presentation follows. I think this preso is
going to be very informative and entertaining.

Let me also take the opportunity to remind everyone OWASP OC will be meeting
Dec 17th. For more information check out:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Orange_County
**
Looking forward to seeing you all!
Cassio
**

*The MySpace Worm*

The most virulent worm in the history of the series of tubes known as the
Internet. One of the most highly accessed websites ever [see comScore]. One
of the most ostentatious hackers alive. Over one million victims. Less than
24 hours. Fueled only by Chipotle burritos. The MySpace Worm.

I will be recapping the story of the development, release and eventual
future of the MySpace worm. The 24 hours that led up to over one million
friends. The eventual downfall of the MySpace site for several hours. The
non-malicious intent and humorous progression of the worm. The t-shirts. The
copycats. The behind-the-scenes story of the Secret Service raid at Samy's
home and office. The demise of Samy's legal use of computers, community
service, restitution, high-risk offender probation, and rehabilitation. And
where Samy is today.

**
*Samy Kamkar*, software engineer and self-proclaimed playboy, is a meddler
in the security and software realms. He is currently the Director of
Engineering and co-founder of Fonality, Inc., an IP PBX startup located in
Culver City. Previously, Samy led the development of all core top-level
domain name server software and systems for Global Domains International
(.ws). Prior to that, Samy worked with Penn State University developing
psychometric personality assessment software with attention to artificial
intelligence and bioinformatics. When not strapped behind the Matrix, Samy
can be found performing parkour (free running), practicing urban escape
artist maneuvers, or is found getting involved in local community service
projects. In the past 10 years, Samy has focused on evolutionary and genetic
algorithmic software development, Voice over IP software development,
automated security and vulnerability research in the areas of network
security, reverse engineering, and network gaming, and continues his focus
in staying out of jail