[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Benchmark project - potential conflict of interest

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:36:08 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I've got some concerns about the OWASP Benchmark project.

I _like_ benchmarks, and I'm very pleased to see an active OWASP project
focused on delivering one.
I think the project has some technical limitations, but thats fine given
the stage the project is at, ie _very_ early.
I dont think that any firm conclusions should be drawn from it until its
been significantly enhanced.

My concerns are around the marketing that one of the companies sponsoring
the Benchmark project has started using.

Here we have a company that leads an OWASP project that just happens to
show that their offering in this area appears to be _significantly_ better
than any of the competition.
Their recent press release stresses that its an OWASP project, make the
most of the fact that the US DHS helped fund it but make no mention of
their role in developing it.

Regardless of the accuracy of the results, it seems like a huge conflict of
interest :(

It appears that I'm not the only one with concerns related to the project:

https://www.veracode.com/blog/2015/09/no-one-technology-silver-bullet

What do other people think?

Cheers,

Simon