[Owasp-leaders] Should OWASP projects (and in particular ZAP) aim to leave the OWASP nest?

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri Dec 4 00:43:27 UTC 2015

well the reasons why I believe OWASP  should not be allowed to pay owasp
leaders are listed here
*http://blog.diniscruz.com/2012/04/why-owasp-cant-pay-owasp-leaders.html
<http://blog.diniscruz.com/2012/04/why-owasp-cant-pay-owasp-leaders.html>*

And since I have not been on the OWASP board for about 5 years, I think we
need to realise that IF it was possible to pay owasp leaders to work on
OWASP projects, THAT (paying owasp leaders) would have happened by now
(after all, there has been enough budget to make that happen)

The problem is that there is still this 'idea' that "IF ONLY we could do
that (pay owasp leaders) amazing stuff would happen".

Sometimes it is better to be clear on the rules of engagement, so that the
energy can be focused on ideas that work

For example paying expenses to get OWASP leaders together or project
related operational expenses, is a much more realistic target for the
available funds (in fact we already have good track record in using funds
that way)

Jim, when we spoke last time you mentioned *the* *idea of hiring technical
editors to work on OWASP projects (from a global point of view)*. Just to
be clear, as long as they are not OWASP Leaders, I think that *would also
be a great use of OWASP funds.* Think for example how useful would it be to
provide our OWASP projects support with:
 - documentation
 - diagrams
 - pagination, copy editing, spelling, index pages (for docs projects)
 - README(s)
 - installation scripts
 - QA/Testing
 - Writing Unit tests

(for the reasons why I don't believe we should pay OWASP leaders to do the
above tasks see
*http://blog.diniscruz.com/2012/04/why-owasp-cant-pay-owasp-leaders.html
<http://blog.diniscruz.com/2012/04/why-owasp-cant-pay-owasp-leaders.html>*)

And remember that IF was possible to pay owasp leaders, by now, we should
have already a couple success stories.

For me what OWASP can really do for its projects is to provide:
 - a community,
 - a stage to present it
 - as much operational support as possible
 - love and energy

Dinis