[Owasp-leaders] Australian journalist arrested for technology conference report

Kenneth Van Wyk ken at krvw.com
Mon May 23 15:10:08 EDT 2011

<personal opinion>

FWIW, I thought I'd chime in on this from my own perspective. Note, though, that I wasn't at AusCERT this year and don't have any first-hand knowledge of what took place in this incident.

The AusCERT conference is quite respected and well established. I've personally spoken at several -- and done web app sec tutorials (singing OWASP's praises) -- in the past.

It's mainstream and very on the level. The organizers have gone through some re-org turmoil in the past year, but the event is still respected.

A very close friend of mine was at this year's event, and I've heard a bit of what took place. But I will refrain from hearsay.

That said, in all the reports I've read on the incident, I've seen nothing that tarnishes the reputation of either AusCERT or OWASP. The impression I got was of a law enforcement organization going too far.

</personal opinion>

Cheers,

Ken

-----