[OWASP-Ireland] Certified Ethical Hacker Certification - u re acon?

Chris Madden chris.madden at trintech.com
Mon Jul 4 12:00:43 EDT 2005

I got the book a while back but have only read it in parts.

Its main benefit I see is that it gives a good practical overview of hacking
- the various technologies, tools and techniques.

CISSP gives a big picture overview of security and is not at all hands-on.

CEH gives a big picture overview of hacking but it does so in a hands-on
learn by doing way.

It covers the industry standard tools of the trade but also some of the
lesser known ones.

It is very well laid out and presented in a very readable format.

So with or without the certification/exam the book is useful in itself to
get the big picture overview. The Table of contents is available on ECC
site.

As for the certification itself, I personally think the main benefit of
certs is to get a job interview i.e. to meet the prerequisite job
requirements.

Given that, I've never seen the CEH cert as a prerequisite for a job.

Chris

  _____