[Owasp-esapi-c++] Boost::Test nil_t warnings

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:45:03 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:29 PM, David Anderson
<david.anderson at aspectsecurity.com> wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2011, at 11:38 AM, "Kevin W. Wall" <kevin.w.wall at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>> All a developer had to do was to specify something like thi (don't recall
>> the exact syntax I used):
>>
>>    myprog [-f filename{readable,notsymlink,fullpath} ]
>>           --pid=pid{int:min=1,max=65535}
>>
>> etc. Building all those checks into your code is tedious and many
>> developers skip them. It then comes back to bite them in the ass.
>>
>> So it would be nice if we could provide some assistance along
>> those lines too.
>
> Neat idea.  Having the parser generate accurate usage documentation
> would be nice too, although it would be somewhat platform dependent.

Well, back then, I didn't know alot about Prolog. This was for a master's level
CS course in AI and expert systems and we were just learning Prolog
and playing around with it's Definite Clause Grammar. We had do to
a class project and that's what mine was on. Do I built a DCG that
somewhat resembled man pages. Today, it would make more sense
to use that with an XML representation. Then you have some sort
of enhanced GetOpts class takes your args as well as the XML config
file and the parsing and checking is all built in.  Just a thought.

-kevin
--
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein