[OCC] [Committees-chairs] ZDNet (ISC)2 Author?

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Sun Jul 3 17:15:08 EDT 2011

Connections Committee,

I've looked into the links that Christian provided so we can get a sense of
if/how we should make contact.

Ryan Naraine, whom Christian cited, works for Kaspersky Lab and has a blog
on ZDNet that presumably gets a lot of visibility and readership.

Two of the links that Christian sent point to Kaspersky Lab's news feed
which re-posts stories by others (including the article by Christian himself
that he provided the link for).

While some of these happen to be about OWASP, the feed is aggregated from
multiple sources and not particularly specific to us.

OWASP's Moderated AppSec News Feed already provides a similar service of
re-posting relevant security stories.

As a result, I don't see too much need for OWASP to reach out to Kaspersky
Lab's regarding this feed. The only thing I would say would be to make sure
that any stories the Connections Committee wants to broadcast in the future
are picked up in their aggregation.

With regards to Ryan's postings on ZDNet, I've utilized Google to search his
entries for mentions on OWASP (
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Awww.zdnet.com%2Fblog%2Fsecurity+OWASP).
There doesn't appear to be are many posts where *he* mentions OWASP.

The posts that do cite OWASP are almost all universally by one guest author,
Nathan McFeters, who is no longer with the site (
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/saying-farewell/1668)

Unfortunately as a result, it does not seem like the links that Christian
sent would be a good match for our purposes.

I think we should identify some authors of high visibility news sites that
have already shown previous interest in OWASP (e.g. perhaps covering an
OWASP event or attending a conference or chapter meeting). Perhaps we can
reach out and bring them to more OWASP events so they'll write about us even
more! We're a really fun group to hang out with - and I'm sure anyone we
invite to our events will quickly learn to love OWASP. Their positive
experiences (and hopefully the stories they write about those experiences)
will in turn help us grow the organization.

Is there some kind of tool out there that would allow us to search existing
web articles to cross-correlate news media with OWASP event attendance?

-Jason