[Owasp-cert] Marketing Idea:OWASP Certification

dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 21 16:09:34 EDT 2008

>Surely we can just charge enough for the exam to break even, rather than
>doing product placements?  I think that the idea is highly inappropriate
>in the context of a vendor-neutral, independent exam.  If Comp-TIA can
>make a profit at $250/exam, surely we can come up with a reasonable
>non-profit figure to charge for this exam.

Now that price has come up, it's not a bad time to mention the cost of
delivering exams. Both VUE and Prometric charge $75,000 USD per year to use
their test delivery system. They don't care how much you charge (each test
organization sets their own price), as long as you pay your yearly fee. This
is the reason why the BSD Certification Group is creating their own software
delivery mechanism, under an open source license, and creating a network of
trusted proctors within universities and training centers.

The proprietary exam market is based on volume. If you're not delivering
10,000+ exams per year, it's very difficult to break even using the existing
test delivery infrastructure.

Cheers,

Dru