[Owasp-board] Community engagement and certification

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Fri Apr 4 03:21:12 UTC 2014

Board,

If the foundation wants to do a certification program, here are my rough
notes on the topic:

*Managing Questions**
*1) We need a question bank working group of experts, possible paid, to
create and maintain certification questions.
2) These questions need to be kept in secret
3) None of the question bank workers can apply for the certification.
Being a question writer should be honored, but they cannot get the cert
itself.

*Which Certs**
*1) I say we start small with one assessment centric cert since this is
primarily a pentester organization

*How to deliver the test**
*1) We can use a formal testing center like
http://www.sylvanlearning.com/ who takes a cut from the cert to deliver it.

*Reality**
*2) We probably need a FTE to manage this process.

*Bonus Points**
*1) Bonus points: it would be nice to find a PhD in Education or similar
who can help us do this with academic integrity.
2) Bonus points: get the cert ANSI certified for even broader acceptance
in some govt and large company communities.

Just a start,
Aloha,
Jim