[Owasp-board] September 07/Update - OWASP Summer of Code 2008/OWASP EU Summit Portugal 2008.

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Sun Sep 7 12:16:22 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

I hope you are well.

Time flies, and as you know, we are almost reaching September 15, the
initially established OWASP Summer of Code 2008 (SoC’s) deadline.

Therefore, less than ten days to the season of code’s expiring date, we
thank those of you that are keeping the schedule and we challenge the
remainder to make an effort to make up for this delay.

However, as we are working to have as many of you as possible attending the
OWASP EU Summit Portugal 2008, we have decided to postpone the
above-referred deadline to the possible maximum – the new SoC’s deadline
will be the first day of the Summit, that is to say November 4.

We are still shaping the event
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_EU_Summit_2008>  wiki page but it was
already agreed to hold a four-day OWASP gathering to discuss OWASP strategic
issues and present all OWASP relevant projects. This first OWASP Summit will
take place in Algarve (Faro is the nearest airport
<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Aeroporto+de+Faro,+Monte
negro,+Faro,+8005,+Portugal&ie=UTF8&ll=37.096812,-7.967834&spn=0.502766,1.23
5962&z=10> ), Portugal, in the well-equipped seaside Hotel Santa Eulália
<http://www.granderealsantaeulaliahotel.com/index.html> , between the 4th
and the 7th of November 2008.

In the first two days, the event will have the format of Working Sessions to
openly discuss and decide on several OWASP projects and issues, e.g., OWASP
Strategic Planning, OWASP Top 10 2009, Winter Of Code 2009, EASPI Project,
Code Review Version 2, Testing Guide Version 4, OWASP Application Security
Desk Reference (ASDR), OWASP Certifications, OWASP Awards and OWASP Website.
Of course, we count on you to join the discussion and contribute to the
final decisions.

As announced before, the remaining period of two days will consist of a
two-day conference, where more than 40 OWASP specific presentations will be
held. Again, we most definitely count on you to present your project.

Regarding the rules to qualify to have the Summit attendance expenses
partially paid, we are also setting up the following:

1. Until September 15, at least the 50% completion point must have been
reached, the 50% self-evaluation must have been performed and, at least, one
of the two reviews must have been done.

 2 Until September 15, both project leaders and reviewers must sign their
intention of attending the Summit by adding their names here
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_EU_Summit_2008_Paid_Participants> .

3. Until November 4, the project must be entirely complete, reviewed and
ready to be publicly presented at the Summit.

4. Exceptions to these rules can be considered by OWASP Board under formal
request made until September 15 by project leaders whose projects are
specially extensive and complex.

 In what respects to the level of expenses that will be paid, the following
rules have been established:

 1. With the exceptions below, all accommodation and meal expenses, during
all the four days, will be paid.

 2. As we are still seeking out for financial sponsorship support, until
further notice, none of the dinners will be paid.

 3. The meals consist of a pre-negotiated menu and just this will be paid.

 4. The accommodation will consist in a place in a shared T 1 (3 people) or
T2 (5 people) apartment. Therefore, even though one can choose an individual
room, OWASP will pay only for the cost associated with a shared stay.

5. Please note that the nights of 3 and 7 of Nov will be included in the
paid accommodation for those of you attending the whole event.

 6. Regarding the flight expenses, OWASP will pay a maximum of 900 US
dollars to all non-European attendees and 500 to the European ones.

 7. The operational model to book accommodations and flights is not finished
yet but, as soon as possible, more details will be given.

 On the whole, if you accept our challenge to be at the OWASP EU Summit 2008
to present your project and engage the discussion at one, or more, Working
Sessions and if you qualify to have your expenses partially paid, please add
your name right here
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_EU_Summit_2008_Paid_Participants> .
Please do not forget to add the name of your city/airport of departure.

Nevertheless, although we start with a good budget to cover expenses
(150,000 USD), it will not be enough to cover the current projected number
of OWASP participants. Therefore, if you can convince your company to pay
for some or all of your expenses please do so and, on the other flip of the
coin, we can advertise its logo at the conference materials - more details
about sponsorship opportunities will be sent later on.

 To conclude, I will be here if you need further assistance, however, as I
am releasing all the information and details already stabilized, the best
way to keep yourself up to date and informed about the event is to visit
regularly its wiki page.

 Keep up the good work - I am looking forward to seeing you in Portugal!

 Many thanks, best regards,

Paulo Coimbra,

OWASP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page>  Foundation Project
Manager

 <blocked::https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_NYC_AppSec_2008_Conference>
OWASP AppSec NYC 2008 is coming...  are you ready?