[Owasp-austin] Austin Security Executives Happy Hour - Thursday, January 14th

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at ni.com
Tue Jan 12 12:23:59 EST 2010

Happy New Year Austin OWASPers!

First off, after two years of serving as the Austin OWASP Chapter
President, James Wickett has decided to step aside and let someone else
take the reigns for a while.  As such, he has asked me to take over as
President beginning this month.  James has some pretty big shoes to fill
(pun intended), but I will try my hardest to continue to make the Austin
OWASP Chapter one of the best in the country.  If you have any suggestions
on how we can make that happen, please do not hesitate to shoot me an
e-mail.  And don't worry, James will continue to be very active with
OWASP, serving as the chapter's new Vice President.

Austin Security Executives Happy Hours - Thursday, January 14, 5-7 PM
On to more pressing business...we've decided to kick the new year off
right with another super awesome Happy Hour event.  From now on, we're
joining forces with the Capitol of Texas ISSA group and calling these the
Austin Security Executives Happy Hour.  The first Happy Hour event is
scheduled for this Thursday (1/14) from 5-7 PM at Sherlock's (183 and
Burnet).  Past happy hours have proven to be quite awesome so don't miss
out on this opportunity to network with your security comrades and drink
cheap drinks.

Reducing Your Data Security Risk Through Tokenization - Tuesday, January
26, 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
The first Austin OWASP meeting of the year is on a really interesting
topic that many of you have probably never thought about: Tokenization.
The concept is simple...use tokens to represent your data instead of
passing around the data itself.  For example, why would you give a
customer account representative a full credit card number when all they
need to do their job is the last four digits?  Using tokenization, we are
able to reduce the data security risk by limiting the number of systems
that actually store the data.  This extremely simplifies audits for
regulations like SOX, HIPAA, and PCI DSS.  This presentation will cover
the business drivers for data protection, what tokenization is, and how to
implement it.  If your organization has data to protect, then you're going
to want to check out this presentation.

We are currently in the process of lining up meeting topics for the coming
months.  If you are interested in presenting on a topic or have some
topics that you think would be good for someone else to present at an
OWASP meeting, please send me an e-mail to let me know.  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol (CCNA, GWAS)
Austin OWASP President