[Owasp-austin] Owasp - GeekAustin Party - August 19th

Rich Vázquez rich.vazquez at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 00:37:21 EDT 2008

We are revisiting our last presentation with a GeekAustin party.  GeekAustin
has been connecting tech folks in Austin for a couple of decades now.
http://geekaustin.org/2008/08/10/geekaustin-roots/

This is an opportunity to network with other local security and web
professionals and let them know about OWASP.  Anyone is welcome to show up,
but if you are interested in helping represent OWASP, please contact me
directly so we can coordinate - rich.vazquez at gmail.com.  It would be great
if folks who have attended OWASP Austin from the beginning can attend.

Below is the information on the gathering
--------------
http://geekaustin.org/2008/08/11/rebirth-of-opensims/

This is a presentation and party co-hosted by GeekAustin and OWASP-Austin.
In the front room at Union Park, we'll have the usual drinks and
shenanigans. In the boom boom room, Mando and whurley will have a
presentation and discussion on openSIMS. Although openSIMS has a lot of
complicated things going on under the hood, Mando and whurley have a knack
for expressing it in layman's terms. The recruiters probably won't
understand it, but they'll be up front buying drinks for anyone who says
they know Java.

*openSIMS*

If you have any friends/colleagues who do high-level security work, and tell
you the tales, you've probably heard statistics to the effect that banks and
similar institutions are cyber-attacked millions of times each week. You may
also have heard that thousands of those attacks are successful. With the
growth of hacking and phishing from bored teenager to organized crime
groups, this is the reality.

An institution can have teams of the best IT security, firewall, intrusion
detection, and forensics experts. They can employ a range of tools: snort,
nessus, nmap, nagios, as well as costly enterprise tools. However, when
attacked by an army of bots, it frequently isn't enough. Some attacks
succeed.

openSIMS provides a way to integrate Nmap, Snort, Nagios, and Nessus into a
common event correlation framework. More importantly, it provides a way for
enterprises to selectively share network threat data realtime. Most
importantly, openSIMS is an open-source project that is free to install and
implement.
*
*
*OWASP-Austin*

The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a worldwide free and
open community focused on improving the security of application software.
Our mission is to make application security "visible," so that people and
organizations can make informed decisions about application security risks.
Everyone is free to participate in OWASP and all of our materials are
available under a free and open software license. The Austin group meets
monthly for a lunch talk. http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Austin

If you are interested in hearing about the state of network security (what
the folks who hold your online information don't tell you), and the
emergence of the "Community Centric Security" model, I think you will find
this an interesting discussion.

Then again, you can also just hang out up front and toss down drinks. Either
way, I hope you can make it.

Rebirth of openSIMS - party and presentation
Tuesday, August 19th, 6PM-10PM
presentation at 7PM in the BoomBoom Room
Union Park, 612 W Sixth St.

--
--
Rich Vázquez