[Owasp-appsensor-project] GSoC 2016

John Melton jtmelton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 04:10:25 UTC 2016

All,

OWASP has been selected this year to participate in the Google Summer of
Code! This is great news for the org, and hopefully appsensor will be able
to participate again. We don't yet know how many slots we'll get, but now
is the time to get started with planning. There are 2 specific things you
can do:
1. If you are aware of students that might be interested, let them know
ASAP. There's ~2 weeks for Q&A, then ~2 weeks for submission.
2. If you have time, sign up as a mentor. That could be for appsensor, or
any of the other owasp projects. From past experience, I'd say you should
plan for about 2-3 hours per week for the duration of the program (~3
months). It's a really good experience with smart students. It's an easy
short-term way to contribute.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
John

----------------------------------

Students will start applying for projects on March 14th but a lot of them
are already exploring ideas on our corresponding wiki page:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSOC2016_Ideas.

*How you can get involved:*
If you are a project leader and would like for your project to participate add
your idea on our  GSOC 2016 Idea
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSOC2016_Ideas> wiki page ASAP!

*Become a Mentor:*
Do you want to become a mentor for a student?
Choose a participating OWASP project from the wiki page listed below preferably
the one you are most familiar with.

Link: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSOC2016_Ideas

Touch base with the project leader and ask one of the org admins (Claudia
<claudia.aviles-casanovas at owasp.org>, Kostas <konstantinos at owasp.org> or
Fabio <fcerullo at owasp.org>) to send you an invitation and get you started
today.

*Help OWASP Invite Students: *
Are you somehow affiliated with a university? Get in touch with students,
inform them about the program and how they can participate with OWASP.
Please direct students to the wiki page for details:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/GSoC

Please let us know if you need help or supporting material.

Thank you in advance for your time and look forward to your participation.