[Owasp-appsensor-project] mentoring for appsensor - GSoC

John Melton jtmelton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 03:24:51 UTC 2016

Giri,

Thanks for the questions - responses inline.

Thanks,
John

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Girivaraprasad Nambari <
girinambari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I got few questions, could you please clarify?
>
> 1) What sort of mentoring? I mean code walk through (or) application
> feature mentoring (or) specific to what student working-on?

For mentors, coding ability would be good, yes. Familiarity with the
appsensor codebase is not necessary. The mentoring will be helping the
student work through issues mainly. It's usually helping them work through
roadblocks, and that is a similar process no matter what the project is.

> 2) Criteria for mentor selection?

I think the main criteria are 1) have the time and a willingness to help,
and 2) capable developer (java would be best)

> 3) What sort of expectations mentor should have (apart from time per week)?

The main requirements I generally recommend are:
- 2 meetings per week (30 minutes each) to keep the student on track
- respond to emails within 24 hours
- help perform the midterm and final review
- help research a little when needed