[Owasp-appsensor-project] DHS & Georgia Tech Grant Funding Potential

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Aug 13 00:10:47 UTC 2013

Whoa, +1 Ryan!

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode
(808) 652-3805

On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:45 PM, Ryan Barnett <ryan.barnett at owasp.org> wrote:

To John's point about reporting and visualization - we have similar issues
on the ModSecurity front. Considering that we have implemented many
AppSensor detection points within the OWASP ModSecurity CRS. We currently
mainly use a tool called the audit console and it accepts ModSecurity audit
log data.

http://www.jwall.org/web/audit/console/index.jsp

You can search and sort in a variety of ways however in general I feel that
there is much to do with regards to making these events meaningful for a
security analyst.

I don't really like the per- transaction views of most WAF alert data. I
prefer more of an attacker-sequence view that shows paths of attacks or
profiles the attacker a bit more. I actually like what Mykonos did with
their dashboard - http://www.mykonossoftware.com/profile-the-attacker.php

I guess my point is that I agree that we need a better dashboard for these
events but I am not sure if building one from scratch is the best use of
time and resources. We could consider contributing to Audit Console to add
features we need.

--
Ryan Barnett

On Aug 12, 2013, at 2:49 PM, John Melton <jtmelton at gmail.com> wrote:

I personally like the #2 idea. Getting the concept out is helpful, and
seems like it would be very helpful, particularly within govt. circles.

I really like the idea of sample applications using the implementation.
>From a development perspective, I also think it could be useful to build a
reporting front-end for analysis by end-users. I am working on the engine
piece and have a good handle on that, but the visualization of the data is
probably an area that could use some love. However, these dev tasks might
be a stretch to start now.

If our proposal were accepted, when would the work begin? I think if the
work started after the new year, I'd be comfortable proposing any of the
dev ideas, but if sooner, I'd say go with just the documentation.