[Owasp-appsensor-project] Fwd: AppSensor & ESAPI

John Melton jtmelton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 13:08:32 EDT 2010

Jim,
Not sure I agree with #1 - not sure why we need to stop using ESAPI.  I'm
not sure how maven deals w/ circular dependencies, but ESAPI's interaction
w/ appsensor for the most part would be through the intrusion detector
mechanism ... ESAPI.intrusionDetector().addException(this), which is already
implemented in the EnterpriseSecurityException constructor and maybe 1 or 2
other exceptions.  I admit, though, I'm not sure how maven deals w/ the
dependencies so that could certainly be an issue - any maven experts can you
chime in?

We do use a few of the esapi classes.
- IntrusionDetector interface
- SecurityConfiguration class
- I think we might use the StringUtilities in a place or 2, but we could
remove these if need be
- use the logger through an adapter
- use the authenticator through an adapter.

We've planned ahead for integration w/ ESAPI or w/ other frameworks.  In the
current incarnation of AppSensor, we do depend on ESAPI, but you don't have
to *use* ESAPI.  You can use a different mechanism for all the controls that
ESAPI would normally cover, but if you use AppSensor, we're still gonna use
some ESAPI code behind the scenes.  Having said that, our only
implementations for certain pieces are written for ESAPI integration
(logger/authenticator), but an app could easily implement their own.

I'm also curious about what "ESAPI can build a AppSensor implementation"
means from your perspective?  Are you saying ...
1. use our code, and implement your own detection points and threshold
configurations
2. implement your own ground-up code/detection/response engine, as well as
the detection points and threshold configs -or-
3. something else
?

Thanks,
John