[Global_industry_committee] [Owasp-board] Industry Survey

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Thu Aug 18 17:15:41 EDT 2011

Tom,

I like the idea of doing a survey and I think collaborating with a firm like
GT is a good idea.  We've discussed the idea for years and I've raised the
same questions every time.  I question whether we have the capability to
produce a good survey instrument.  Survey design is considerably more
difficult than writing down a few questions.  It's a scientific experiment
and it need careful design.

For this, I'd like to understand.

.        What are the specific goals of the survey?

.        What exactly is it that OWASP is trying to find out?

If OWASP is to be responsible for coming up with the questions, we need to
follow some kind of process to derive survey questions that will
specifically answer some interesting questions about our space.   It's hard
to create questions that both achieve our goals and is not biased in any
way.

Personally I think a survey could help answer specific questions around:

.        Standards that OWASP could produce

.        How appsec budgets are divided across training, secure coding,
verification, mgmt.

.        Org structure around appsec roles

.        Metrics used to report appsec to management

.        Percentage of application portfolio regularly assessed in appsec
verification program

.        Percentage of Internal apps vs. external apps covered

.        Use of standard application security controls

.        Which OWASP projects are most useful

But there's a lot of work to change these topics into specific experiments
embodied in one or more survey questions.

--Jeff