[Global_chapter_committee] Proposed Conferences/Chapters policy changes

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Mar 13 18:35:32 UTC 2012

For single-chapter events there would be two "buckets" each with a target
amount of the chapter budget.  For multi-chapter events we just add more
buckets for the additional chapter budgets.  Once a chapter bucket is full,
they stop earning money from the event and the remaining amount goes to the
Foundation.  This ensures that the Foundation and the Chapter earn money
from the event at an equal rate.  Your example of how the funds would get
split is correct.

Budgets are only necessary if a chapter wants to receive money from an
event or if they have more than $5,000 in their bank account at the end of
the year.  This was requested by the Board in the guiding objective which
states "We would like some sort of annual review, requirements, or rules to
address the issue of stale chapter funds in excessive amounts" as well as
"We would like some periodic recap on funds spent by chapters to help
ensure funds are appointed on items aligned with the OWASP Mission".  Yes,
this does add some additional operational work for our committee.

~josh