[GPC] [Committees-chairs] [Owasp-board] ESAPI Party

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Fri Sep 23 19:57:24 EDT 2011

For the OWASP Conferences held in Australia, Justin Derry was able to
include "all you can drink" alcohol as part of the total package
offered by the venue.

I am not sure if this is also offered by venues within the USA?  Maybe
it could be included in the OCMS when events are proposed.

It is also important to note that social interact is also part of the
OWASP community and I don't consider what Chris has requested is
excessive but a door donation could resolve these conflicts in the
future (if this can't be negotiated with the venue as above)?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> appropriate expenditures of OWASP funds.
>> -Jason
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Less alcohol purchases is probably a good thing. Waiting to drink until
>>> *after* the board meeting is something to consider as well.
>>>
>>> If I had to vote between keeping the lights on and paying for beer, I'd
>>> go lights.
>>>
>>> Even some of the most drunk bastards within OWASP have confided in me
>>> that we, especially at Portugal, go to extremes when it comes to this topic.
>>>
>>> - Jim
>>>
>>> Vote to approve the "meet-up"  always helps our efforts and community.
>>> **bookmark this all**
>>> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Donation_Scoreboard
>>> There is no budget in the project bucket for ESAPI hmm....
>>> Perhaps you can find a sponsor example Denim/Aspect/Cigital/WhiteHat or
>>> the otherson the show floor or any of the other involved ESAPI or get a
>>> chapter to help it (Denver, NYC, San Ant, etc...)
>>>
>>> Pass the hat and ask for $20 bucks
>>> Are we having fun yet or have we now become a "dry county" organization.
>>>

>>> On Sep 23, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chairs/Board/GPC,
>>> Based on the Board/Chair discussion last night, I believe the general
>>> consensus was that these types of events for projects are reasonable and
>>> supported (with some sanity-check BS-meter type caveats). Note that each
>>> committee has an action item to draft guidance regarding appropriate
>>> expenditures for their areas of responsibilities (chapters, projects, etc).
>>> Everyone's concern over the OWAS ModSecurity Core Rule Set event
>>> reimbursement request was that:
>>> 1) The reimbursement request for the event was preceded by a request that
>>> was NOT appropriate (the "if dad says no, ask mom" problem)
>>> 2) The event was not clearly an event about an OWASP Project (someone
>>> attested that as an attendee, it "felt" like a Trustwave event about
>>> ModSecurity, not an OWASP event about the Core Rule Set)
>>> In the case of this ESAPI party, the "plan" and "intent" have been stated
>>> and the event is clearly an event about an OWASP Project.
>>> While we haven't yet decided on a process, *one* of the proposed methods
>>> of budget approval for these events brought up was that the "approval" role
>>> for such project expenditures should lie with the Project Leader, followed
>>> by the GPC Chair, followed by the Treasurer/Board.
>>> Since Chris is the project leader and it is his event, it'd be
>>> inappropriate for his approval.
>>> For the record, based on the Board's/Chair's mutual understanding, I
>>> believe this event should be approved and would normally approve the
>>> expenditure. However, as the party is planned to be held in the room that I
>>> am sharing with Chris, I feel that I should abstain from this process to
>>> prevent the appearance of conflict of interest.
>>> I ask that the approval decision instead be made by the Treasurer (or the

>>> 2 Cases of Beer
>>> 2 Bags of Chips
>>> Salsa

--